About Me

My photo
Mom of Gwyn https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/index.php?query_type=horse&h=BLACKROOTS+STONEWALL+GWYNYVYR&g=5&cellpadding=0&small_font=1&l=

Friday, March 11, 2011

March 6: Deception Pass with friends

We returned here! For a third time, but now it's more 'Springy' so that was awesome. Our hiking plans originally were going to be a trip out to Snoqualmie Falls but apparently the hiking path that leads you to a good viewpoint is closed until 2013 while they work on improvements on the trail (!!!!) So we last minute decided to head up to Deception.

Friends from Florida (an former coworker and his father) had just moved up here like us and they were wanting to share in the hiking enjoyment that Eric and I have been having. We were more than happy to include them!

I should mention, as this is a good point to do so, that if you're ever in the area on a weekend, let me know! We love to have hiking buddies. It makes for more varied conversation and I love to share the beauty of nature.





Driving over the Deception Pass Bridge, which we did twice as the second hike I had picked out was also closed (GRRRR)
Photobucket

The last time we were here I took a dip in the water and we watched SCUBA divers getting ready to go crabbing. This time there were kayakers!
Photobucket

It was one of those rare somewhat sunny days for spring. It was also gorgeous.
Photobucket

Little flowers were everywhere on the grassy lawns and there was that AMAZING smell of damp dirt that always triggers warm winds and images of new buds on trees in my head. In other words, pure bliss.
Photobucket

Nick found us something cool here that we had missed that past few times.
Photobucket

Photobucket
US Coast Guard Geodetic Survey marker!

Photobucket

The tide was at a low point so I was able to explore more of the tidepool trail that we barely explored our first visit. I found an open anemone right away!
Photobucket

These are lots of little closed up anemones. The salinity was probably increasing so they pull in to reduce water loss to the surrounding higher salt environment in the tidepools. It's a neat adaptation.
Photobucket

Photobucket
That center point is both mouth AND anus. It's why we tell kids not to poke it at the Seattle Aquarium. ;D

Some barnacles too.
Photobucket

Across the bay there is where we took my family last time.
Photobucket

Neat pictures of me.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
There are fishermen in the water!

Eric and Nick.
Photobucket

A lone tree
Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm pretty sure that's Canada, far in the distance.
Photobucket

My kind of coastal community....
Photobucket

Lots of driftwood!
Photobucket

Photobucket

We found a partly created wigwam hut thing made of cedar branches. Nick decided to get inside.
Photobucket
Photobucket

More flowers! If you looked closely, you could a ton of signs of spring. I loved it.
Photobucket

And perhaps what are my two favorite pictures from this trip.... the awesome moss. I think I saw about 4 different kinds all together.
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment